Twenty Common Lichens
The objective of this project (also known as Next Steps) is to provide support to newcomers to lichenology by encouraging them to seek out specific lichens that are easy to identify and to record their occurrence using a simplified version of the BLS recording spreadsheet.
It is aimed primarily at those who have attended a short introductory course on lichens but others interested in lichen identification are welcome. You do not have to be a member of the BLS to be involved in the Next Steps project, but we hope that it will encourage your interest sufficiently for you to want to join the Society in the future.
The Next Steps project comprises a series of free self-help documents downloadable via the links at the bottom of the page. These are:
- Introduction to Next Steps - sets out where newcomers can find additional printed, website and personal support in lichen identification. It introducesthe Next Steps Field Guide which gives details of some easy to identify lichens which newcomers are encouraged to seek out and record. It must be emphasised that the Field Guide is not a substitute for the many excellent guides already available for specific environments.
- Next Steps Field Guide Part 1 - gives basic identification details of easily identified lichen species.
- Next Steps Field Guide Part 2 - gives details of charismatic lichen genera which, while easy to identify to generic level, are difficult to identify at species level.
- Data Recording for submission to the BLS - sets out how to record in the field and gives instruction on how to use the Excel recording spreadsheet.
- Next Steps Recording Spreadsheet - a cut-down version of the BLS recording spreadsheet.